These pages comprise articles from the 'Notebooks' compiled
by Charlie Hulme in the 1990s, mostly translated and edited articles
from Swiss books and magazines.
They appeared in printed, and latterly also e-mailed form, as the Web hardly existed at the time. We have converted them to this format, as they chronicle an especially interesting period in railway history, and also include useful histories of various lines.
Swiss Railways Notebook for Manchester - September 1992
The Chur - Arosa Line of the RhB
From Eisenbahn Kurier 8/92, by Bernhard Studer
'Where there's a will, there's a way.' This motto, which can be seen on the station building at Lüen - Castiel station, was very appropriately chosen by the builders of the metre-gauge railway from Chur to Arosa. The construction of the line was beset with all sorts of difficulties. The prospectus for the line, drafted in 1911, stated its intentions clearly and concisely: 'To build an electric-powered adhesion railway from Chur to Arosa, with the most even gradient possible, and taking the shortest route not involving any contrary gradients. The line to be capable of working through vehicles from the Rhaetian, Bernina and Furka-Oberalp railways, and be ready for operation by the winter season of 1914, and to be maintained in safe operating condition.'
The health resort of Arosa is now world-famous, but in the nineteenth century could be reached only by an arduous six-hour horse ride. Tourist traffic was increasing each year, and this form of transport could not cope. In 1890, the opening year of the Landquart - Davos railway, the postal road was extended from Langwies to Arosa; in the same year the first proposals were made for a railway to Arosa. The Rhaetian Railway company was busy building its main lines, and showed little interest in the project, so the people of Arosa were forced to take the initiative themselves. The first concession for a line to Arosa was issued in 1905, but the project did not really take shape until a meeting of interested parties in the Lukmanier Hotel, Chur on 19 December 1909. Even then, it was not until 15 July 1911 that sufficient finance was assured for the formation of a company.
Gustav Bener, a director of the RhB who had previously worked as a manager on the building of various RhB lines, was chosen as chief engineer. Professor Fritz Hennings, the well-respected chief engineer on the Albula line project, and RhB section engineer Hans Studer were commissioned as experts to assess the chosen route.
Bener immediately began the detailed planning of the route. Deviating from the original proposal, he decided that the line from Chur to Langwies should keep to the right-hand side of the Plessur river. The proposed line followed the valley floor from Sassal to Meiersboden, but Bener decided to start the climb at Sassal. To make a more even gradient between Lüen and Peist, the station of St-Peter - Molinis was moved away from the latter village to a position between the two. To avoid the difficult slopes at the confluence of the Plessur and Sapün valleys near Langwies, Bener located Langwies station at the bottom of the 'long meadow' (lange Wiese) below the village, and planned a bold leap across the valley. A curved tunnel had originally been intended to gain height above Litzirüti, but to save money Bener replaced it with a loop in the open. At Arosa, however, it was decided to build a tunnel to bring the terminus nearer to the town centre by the Obersee, rather than near the rather remote Schwarzsee as in the first plan.
On 1 March 1912, only 9 months after the start of detailed planning, Bener was able to lay the final route plan before his two advisors. In the same month, the cost estimates were ready. Hennings and Studer approved the plan; their only recommended change was that the line be tunneled to avoid certain geological difficulties around the Lüen landslips and the Spundetscha.
Building work began on 4 July 1912. Paradoxically the first difficulties appeared where they were least expected: within the town of Chur. It was hard to fit the necessary track layout into the necessary space in the station square, and controversy was caused by the need to saw off branches of trees along the Plessurquai to make room for the overhead wires. Other serious problems were encountered in the areas of the Maladers woods, the Castielertobel, the moraines below Pagig and St Peter, as well as the Arosa tunnel; all these areas had originally classified as without problems. On the other hand, the building of the spectacular sections around Sax and the Glasaurertobel, not to mention the reinforced concrete bridges at Langwies and Gründjitobel, proved to be easier than initially expected.
The bridging of the Langwies valley became a world-famous adventure, as such a feat had never before been attempted using the concrete medium. With its length of 287 metres, height above the river of 62 metres, and centre span of 100 metres, the bridge has become the line's emblem and is still the world's largest reinforced concrete rail bridge. Its elegant construction is as impressive today as when it was built. Reinforced concrete construction was chosen because the local rock was unsuitable as a traditional building material. Sand and gravel, were, however, freely available in the area. The steel reinforcing rods and cement had to be brought in, however; over 4000 journeys by four-horse waggon were made over the tortuous Schanfigg road. Scaffolding genius Richard Coray of Trun was brought in to build the staging for the construction of the main span. Coray used a new system on this bridge, which brought him international fame among engineers. Originally it had been planned to built three concrete towers to support the construction, but Coray rejected these as unnecessary, and instead built a huge wooden fan-shape. This construction used over 700 cubic metres of timber, 12 tonnes of screws, and 20 tonnes of other steel fixing parts. Pictures of this amazing structure appeared in journals all around the world. The other concrete bridge at Gründjitobel used more conventional staging, in fact a rebuilt version of that used on the Halen bridge near Bern.
Away from the concrete bridges, other problems were playing havoc with the project's hoped-for short timescale. Near Maladers, earth movement made it necessary to build a steel truss bridge in place of the stone viaduct, and in other places much extra foundation work had to be done. The Spundescha Tunnel was a real problem child; movement of the rock was so great that the alignment of the tunnel had to be altered twice during construction. Eventually one portal was moved to a higher level and the other encased in concrete to stabilise it. In 1913, the Bärenfalle Tunnel threatened to collapse, just as it was about to be used to transport materials for the power station at Lüen. At Capalser rockfall, below St Peter, a new two-span steel bridge with its central pillar embedded 16 metres into the ground had to be built just before the opening of the line to traffic; this bridge is well worth seeing, although hardly noticed by passengers. Despite all these difficulties, work pressed on energetically and the Bärenfalle Tunnel was ready on 4 September 1914, followed by the Spundescha Tunnel on 14 September.
On 17 October 1914, the first train - steam-hauled - carried the officials of the railway company to Arosa. On 19 November the Lüen power station produced its first electricity, and two days later an electric motorcoach climbed the 60 per mille gradients for the first time. By this time, of course, World War had broken out, and as a result the opening to public traffic on 11 December 1914 was a relatively modest affair.
In a route length of 25.7 km, the Arosa line climbs 1,155 metres, from 584 metres above the sea at Chur to 1,739 metres at Arosa. About 70 per cent of the route is inclined at the ruling gradient of 60 per mille [1 in 16.6] - compared to the maximum gradient of 45 per mille [1 in 22] of the RhB main lines. 12.4 km of track is curved, including over 7 km at the minimum radius of 60 metres (RhB main lines: 100 metres). The 18 tunnels total 2.34 km in length, or 9.6 per cent of the route. The 35 bridges of over 10 metres span form 7 per cent of the route length. Level track adds up to only 4 km in total! These figures add up to one of the world's most impressive stretches of railway.
The line was the first in Europe to opt for a 2000 volt DC electrical supply, supplied by the line's own power station at Lüen, near to the line 8.1 km from Chur. The company's rolling stock at the opening in 1914 consisted of four motorcoaches (BCFe 4/4 1-4), six four-wheeled coaches, one ambulance coach, and 16 goods wagons. Increase in traffic led to a steady growth of the fleet, and by 1939 there were 6 motorcoaches, 18 coaches, 4 baggage vans, and 50 goods wagons as well as the ambulance car. BCFe 4/4 5 was built in 1925, and similar car 6 in 1929. Incidentally, while looking at these old stock lists, we notice that overhead line maintenance tower wagon Xm 2/2 16 of 1934 is missing from the 1939 list, although in fact it is still in service on the Arosa line today as RhB Xm 2/2 9913 of Chur Sand depot. Mind you, its days are now numbered; a new tower wagon is under construction on the underframe of a withdrawn Bernina line motorcoach.
Soon after opening, the line faced geological problems. The Castielertobel viaduct, the line's largest stone viaduct, is hard up against a vertical rock face pierced by the Bärenfalle Tunnel, in a similar style to its much-photographed cousin at the Landwasser on the RhB main line. At Castielertobel, however, the rock is moving, and as early as 1919 cracks were noticed in the masonry of the viaduct. By 1928 the Federal Ministry of Transport was insisting on repairs to make the structure safe. In 1935, the lowest arch began to seriously deform, and by 1941 it had been decided that the viaduct could not be saved. In 1942, by now under RhB management, the stone arches were dismantled and replaced by steel trusses which can be adjusted from time to time to relieve the pressure.
The RhB Takeover
Although traffic developed steadily, the ChA company did not become a great profit-maker. After 1932, the company could no longer pay its bills, and Canton Graubünden was forced to subsidise the operation, as well as the Bernina (BB) and Mesocco (BM) companies. The subsidies required became greater and greater; in 1939 a new Federal law was passed enabling the Swiss Government to subsidise railways, but an application on behalf of the Arosa line was turned down by the Bern authorities. The BB and BM resolved that the only way to obtain subsidy and survive was to merge with the RhB. The ChA management was opposed to this idea, but was eventually convinced by its spiralling debts.
The debts of the ChA were far greater than those of the BB and BM, and the merger posed great financial problems for the RhB and Canton. However, a merger agreement was signed on 24-25 October 1941. All property and rights of the ChA company passed to the RhB, along with all its debts and obligations. This event was a great relief to the people of the Communities of Chur, Schanfigg and Arosa, even though a great burden had to be borne by the RhB, the Canton and the Federation.
An RhB Branch The RhB took over operations on 1 January 1942, but changes were very gradual. Even today, the staff of the Arosa line from a clearly different community from those of the RhB main line. It remains to be seen how much of this team spirit will be lost when the line is converted to the main line electrification and Chur station rebuilt in the future.
The six old motorcoaches were numbered 481-486 by the RhB; by the mid-1950s, new rolling stock was a major requirement. It was decided to create six new motorcoaches, using as many parts as possible from the original cars, including the Brown Boveri type GDTM182a4 traction motors which dated from the 1920s. These 'rebuilds' also took over the numbers ABDe 481 to 486. The body of the old 482 gained another lease of life as the station building at Bernina Diavolezza, where it served until the present stone structure was erected in 1964. The newest of the old cars, no. 486 (ex-6) was retained as reserve power, and renumbered 487; it was dismantled in 1970 after a serious accident. Of the ChA coaching stock, the four-wheeled coaches were scrapped, and the bogie cars used as reserve stock when new stock of the EW I style came into service. A series of aluminium-bodied coaches was built specially for the Arosa service in the late 60s: five second class cars B 2315-2319 and four first class, A 1253-1256. These vehicles have characteristic windows in their ends. The first class coaches have been used in Glacier Express service in summer, returning to the Arosa line each winter. In 1969 the first driving trailer car entered service, the first RhB line to use the push-pull system which removes the need for tiresome run-round moves at Chur and Arosa. The motorcoach is always marshalled at the uphill end of the train, as the inflexible and obsolete central buffers of the standard RhB system could not cope with the load of pushing a loaded train up the steep gradients. Even when descending, the use of the electrical braking system on a motorcoach coupled at the lower end would put extra load on the buffers.
The rolling stock was further modernised in the 1960s and 1970s by adapting some RhB coaches of the light-steel generation and the older 'Fliegender Rätier' type. Due to the special carriage-heating system used by the ChA (an ancient and dangerous high-voltage 2200 V circuit with rooftop connections) unmodified coaches from the main RhB system can only be used in summer. In 1973 two more motorcoaches entered service. ABe 4/4 487 and 488 are externally similar to the 41 series built for the Bernina; as before no. 487 was equipped with the traction motors from old no. 487 (previously 486, previously 6!) which had been saved from the wreckage in 1970. For no. 488 the RhB asked Brown Boveri to build some motors of the same type, but their quotation for such a small number to an old design was so high that it was decided to build the four motors (plus two maintenance spares) in Landquart works under licence, thus saving 25,000 Francs per machine.
The most modern coaches in use today are the attractive Bernina Express vehicles of the Mk III design, which run on the Arosa line in winter when the Bernina Express does not operate. In the mid-80s most of the remaining open-platform coaches from the ChA stock disappeared from the scene, to be rebuilt with bus-style bodies for use at peak times. Five of the thirteen rebuilds were intended for regular use on the Arosa service, although the type has proved unpopular with the travelling public. Three old coaches have been saved, however, for use on steam specials, and numbered B 2245 - 2247. It is said that they only survived because in 1985 they were considered too dilapidated to be included in the rebuilding project. In 1989 they were fitted with steam-heating apparatus as well as the ChA high-voltage system.
Since 1971, all points and signalling at intermediate stations on the line has been remotely controlled from a panel at Arosa; Langwies is now the only staffed station, and that only in office hours. Crossing of trains, which normally occurs each hour at Chur Sand and Piest, is fully automatic.
The RhB now plans to build a new tunnel from Sassal, taking the line to a new Chur underground station below the main line platforms. This, it is hoped, will improve the flow of road traffic through the town. After the positive result of a referendum of the people of Chur on 25 September 1988, the project became definite. Since then, the scope of the project has been widened in various ways, aimed at better handling of the the increasing traffic. It is intended that the finance should come from the overall budget of the 'Neue Alpentransit' fund.
At present, the project is passing through the planning procedures, and it is hoped to begin construction in the first half of the 1990s and complete the new station before the end of the century. At the same time, the electrical supply will be converted to the 11 kV AC system used on the RhB main lines. The 1957 motorcoaches 481-486 will be due for withdrawal by that time, and the two 1973 cars could be remotored and used on the Bernina line, or possibly continue on the Arosa line with the help of voltage converters fitted in driving trailers. Under the current plan, the principal motive power for Arosa push-pull trains will be the recently-rebuilt Ge 4/4 I locomotives. It remains to be seen how these locos perform on the steep gradients and sharp curves of the Arosa route.
Collision at Richterswil
From Schweizer Eisenbahn Revue, 7/8-92 On June 2 1992, the Wiener Walzer overnight train from Vienna to Basel was running late, and a special train was arranged for the benefit of Swiss internal passengers. At 06.10 this train 33466, composed of Ae 6/6 11441 and two EW I coaches, collided with Zürich S-Bahn route S8 train 18811, which was stationary in Richterswil station. 37 people were injured, one seriously, and there was considerable damage to equipment. 2000 litres of cooling oil was spilled, and single-line working had to be operated until 18.09 hours.
Single-track working for engineering works during the night between Horgen and Au (ZH) had been late in completion, leading to delays to the early morning trains. Double-deck train 18811 (05.18 Zürich to Pfäffikon) was running 17 minutes late, and Zürich central control decided to terminate it at Richterswil to get its return working, train 18818, back on schedule. Train 18818 was booked to run as two sets coupled together, and the other half had already been dispatched on time from Pfaffikon.
It seems that the Control office meant to couple the two units together at Richterswil, but in fact such a move is not possible, as Richterswil is nowadays an unstaffed station with no crossover, except at the 'harbour' sidings which are further to the south. The 'Domino 67' signalling installtion is set for automatic normal operation of the signals, with remote control from Wädenswil when required. The signalman at Wädenswil had therefore carried out the instruction from Control by switching train 18811 to the wrong line at Wädenswil to terminate in the Zürich-bound platform at Richterswil. He must have forgotten that the express 33466 was in fact running in front of S-Bahn 18818, making such a move impossible.
The Richterswil entry signal remained at danger; in order to bring the second train into the station (to carry out the coupling move, as he thought) the signalman had to break a lead seal on his panel. The driver of the approaching express was slowing down after receiving the yellow aspects at the Vorsignal, but when he saw the Richterswil entry signal clear, he accelerated. Rounding the curve into the station, he saw the stationary S-Bahn train and made an emergency brake application, managing to reduce his speed to around 15 km/hr before hitting the driving trailer.
The Ae 6/6 locomotive, which was fresh from overhaul, was badly damaged, and all the vehicles in the suburban train, even the locomotive (Re 450 020) which was at the end away from the collision. The Wädenswil signalman is going to have a lot of questions to answer, as he appears to have flouted the regulations in a most negligent manner. A checklist was provided for use when the emergency seal was broken, and he must have ignored most of the items on the list.
Bestseller and Art Book: The Official Timetable
From SBB Magazin 3/92
On 16 May 1992, the 1992/93 timetable book of the Swiss transport undertakings went on sale at stations, kiosks and bookshops. This weighty tome of nearly 3000 pages, equalled only by telephone books, is printed in 340,000 copies. And it sells like hot cakes - most of the edition will have been sold within a fortnight!
This year, the Kursbuch could claim to celebrates its hundredth birthday. In 1892, the Schweizer Conducteur, the first official timetable book, was published for the first time. At the time, all railways were private companies, and the Post Office was entrusted with the production of the timetable until it was taken over by the SBB fifteen years later. From the beginning until today, the book has been printed by the same company: Stämpfli + Cie of Bern.
Over the years, the official timetable has seen a number of changes of name, style and format. The book must fit in conductors' shoulder bags, and pass through the revolving cash plates of booking offices; important details when one thinks that 200,000 copies are sold by booking offices, and 40,000 are issued for use by staff.
The Kursbuch is very heavy these days; the 862-page book of 1970 has become 2624 pages in 1992, mainly because it now includes comprehensive details of bus services. 'Don't forget' points out Dieter Stephan, co-ordination manager for the timetable, 'that the Kursbuch is not just an SBB production, it involves over 500 companies operating trains, buses, ships and cable cars. The SBB works closely with the PTT to assemble and publish the information.'
'The success of the Official Timetable', continues Stephan, 'is a Swiss speciality. In other countries the timetable is often considered to be a complex document bought only by railway enthusiasts and travel agents. In Switzerland, on the other hand, the timetable is found in many households, which consider it as indispensable as a daily paper. We often get letters from users, suggesting improvements and alterations.'
Of course, some people buy one of the fifteen rival timetables published by various firms. 'We are not worried about competition', says our spokesman, 'in fact we allow them to reproduce our pages in facsimile.' Most of the rival publications are regional selections, which fulfill a useful need which the SBB does not satisfy.
Since 1982, the timetable has been printed in the now-familiar colours, with an original art work reproduced on the cover. 'We adopted this new style on the introduction of the regular-interval Taktfahrplan', says Dieter Stephan, 'and we changed over from hot-metal to photographic typesetting.'
In combination with photo-setting, the use of computers to lay out the data gives great ecomomy over previous methods. The timetable is maintained as a computer database, and each year only the changes need to be entered into the computer.
Marina Silberti is fluent in all three Swiss official languages; she also has some knowledge of Romansch. No wonder that she has been working for twelve years in the timetable department of Stämpfli AG. Each January the young Italian lady is supplied with large photocopied pages of the timetable, their margins full of red scribbles representing amendments made by the SBB which must be entered at the computer terminal.
'There can be thirty or forty of these sheets per day' says Marina, 'full of tiny handwriting, and I have to concentrate very hard to avoid mistakes.' She has to be familiar with the dozens of symbols, such as miniature ships, buses, wine-glasses, etc. 'Surprisingly, the work is quite varied; we also produce the film for the typesetter, working in close conjunction with the SBB.' Nearby, Marina's colleague Franziska Krebs is working at a light table with a transparent grid measured in millimetres. Her job is to produce the cover, the maps and the green pages which contain tips and information for the traveller. 'It is a really creative and interesting job', she tells us.
Having seen the way the timetable is produced by Stämpfli AG, we mention to the company manager, Anton Schudel, that it reminds us of the telephone directory. 'The timetable is far more complex,' he assures us, 'with all the lines, special symbols, grey scales and inverse printed numbers. The thin paper and small format require great precision in the setting up and maintenance of the printing machinery. The cover is another challenge: we use six-colour printing to enable us to reproduce the original as closely as possible.'
Of course, the most important thing about a timetable is that the times it gives must be right. The Kursbuch always, or with very few exceptions indeed, risen brilliantly to this challenge. This accuracy is only achieved by constant checking both by the SBB and the printing company. But isn't the 'art book on thin paper' rather expensive considering its large print run? Certainly not, says Dieter Stephan. 'The current price of 14 Francs just covers the printing costs. The cost of compiling and editing the information is a charge on the transport undertakings themselves.
After a year's valiant service, the timetable becomes redundant, but still in demand. The unsold copies - usually less than five per cent - are presented to schools for use in class where they serve to interest the next generation in public transportation.
Time For a Meal?
As well as its traditional art patronage, the 1992/3 timetable introduces a variety of recipes for cooks, arranged so that local specialities appear on pages near to the routes serving that area. We translate one example here:
Ingredients for a Springform cake tin, 26 cm diameter : 300 g flour, 200 g butter, a pinch of salt, 400 g sugar, 2 small eggs, 240 g walnut kernels, 250 ml cream, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons of blackcurrant jelly.
Instructions: Cut the butter into small pieces and mix in a pre-chilled basin with the salt and 150 g of the sugar. Whisk the egg and pour it into a hollow which you have formed in the mixture. With cool hands (run them under the cold tap!) quickly knead the mixture into a crumbly dough. Leave cool for 20 minutes.
Place the other 250 g of sugar in a dry frying pan. Without adding water, heat and stir until light brown. Add the nut kernels and heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the cream, and as soon as the sugar has dissolved, mix in the honey.
Brush the baking tin with butter, then take three-quarters of the dough and make it into a 3 mm base and a rim approximately 5 cm high around the edge. Spread the blackcurrant jelly on the base, and then fill the dough evenly with the nut mixture. Use the rest of the dough to make a cover. Fold the rim down over the filling and brush with water, then place the cover in position. Pierce the cover a few times with a fork.
Bake for 60 minutes at 180 degrees C. To avoid excessive
browning, carefully cover with aluminium foil towards the end of the
LOKI Aktuell 9/92
Class 460 News
The Finnish State Railways plan to order 20 new locomotives based on the class 460 design. 460 004 was named Uetliberg at the end of May. Test runs over the Gotthard are taking place during August, with one class 460 each end of a train, under the control of one driver. 460 002 has been fitted with special test wheels, and has seen duty on various test workings with various strange combinations of test coaches and other locomotives on the Lucerne - Bern line and between Biel and La Chaux-de-Fonds.
The SBB Panorama Cars have been working international services since May 31, including a Zürich - Klagenfurt service. The ÖBB has shown the new cars to the press, and is believed to be considering buying some of its own. Market research is being carried out in Austria at present.
Proposals have been made to fit new bogies of modern design to the EW I and EW II coach fleet of the SBB, and the similar cars of the ÖBB in Austria. As an experiment, EW II coach 50 85 0-34 510 has been fitted with new SIG bogies which have magnetic rail brakes, air suspension and 'Navigator' self-steering axles.
Doors are another area receiving attention. 34 EW I/II cars have been fitted with outward-swinging plug doors, which are suitable for operation by the driver of a one-person operated train, usually powered by an NPZ motor coach. These are now used on the Lausanne - Vallorbe, Lausanne - Geneva and Thun - Fribourg locals, and this autumn will replace the 'Chiquita' units on the Winterthur - Stein am Rhein service. Further rebuilds are planned, including some reorganisation of first and second class accommodation. The new doors can be easily spotted, as they are painted yellow.
The Atlantic Comes to Geneva
The Paris - Geneva TGV service has been worked by the original Orange TGV sets, which have a seating capacity of 368. This has proved inadequate for the demand, but the platforms at Geneva are too short for two units in multiple. The solution is to use the new blue and grey 'TGV Atlantique' sets which have 485 seats; such workings began on 5 July, and more diagrams will be introduced on 27 September.
New SZU Motorcoaches
The first of eight new Be 4/4 motorcoaches was delivered to the Sihltal - Zürich - Uetliberg railway at the end of June. These cars are very unusual for Switzerland in that their electrical equipment has been supplied by Siemens rather than ABB; they are expected to enter public service before the end of the year.
The SOB has been meeting its motive power shortage by hiring East German engines, but has now suggested that as a more permanent solution it could buy the four SBB Re 4/4 IV locomotives. It is also considering making an offer for the four RABDe 8/16 'Chiquita' sets 2001 - 2004, which are now not really wanted by the SBB. In theory at least, these aluminium-bodied units should be ideal for the steep gradients of the SOB main line.
FO on RhB
As mentioned previously, FO locomotive HGe 4/4 I 37 has been on hire to the RhB for pick-up freight workings on the Disentis branch, which serve the Walser water factory. Below are the timings of these workings, expected to continue (Mon-Fri) until 25 October 1992:
Train 5717 Landquart 06.25 - Ilanz 08.00
Train 5726 Ilanz 08.57 - Landquart 10.05
Train 5743 Landquart 11.20 - Ilanz 12.40
Train 5752 Ilanz 13.55 - Landquart 15.00
While you are there with your camera, remember that there are also daily 'Crocodile' goods workings on this line:
Train 5709 Landquart 05.00 - Disentis 08.05
Train 5738 Disentis 09.05 - Landquart 13.35
Train 5771 Landquart 16.49 - Ilanz 18.40
Train 5774 Ilanz 18.40 - Landquart 20.15
David and Goliath
In an innovative publicity stunt on 2 July, the MOB loaded their new H 2/3 steam locomotive on a low-loader and rolled it on to the apron of Zürich airport to mingle with the Swissair Airbuses.
First published 1992 - this edition April 2009